Number of Players:
2 to 4 ...singles(2) or partners(4)
Object of Game:
Points are made by tossing washers into the holes. The closest hole from each player counts as 1 point, middle hole 2 points, third hole 3 points. First person or team to score 21 without going over wins the game.
1) Set boards on even ground.
2) Make sure chains between boards is tight.
3) To determine starting player, each player will throw a washer at board from each side. Player whose washer lands closest to the 3 point hole will choose to throw first, or choose to have the other side throw first.
If one on the player's washers goes off the board during this time, the player does not throw over, as long as the other player has landed on the board.
Game Play Summary: Single Play
Players always shoot towards same board.
Starting player will throw three washers. Points are added for all holes made.
Player 2 throws washers. If player 2 gets a washer in a hole that player 1 has made, the point for player 1 is cancelled.(this is called covering, see special notes).
Player 2 does nor get the points for this hole, unless he or she makes another washer in the hole again.
Player 1 throws 3 washers. 1 washer goes in all three holes. This would total 6 points.
When player 2 throws the first washer and it lands in the 3 point hole, and the second washer lands in the 1 point hole, the third washer lands in no holes, player 1's 3 point and 1 point are covered and voided. Player 1 has 2 points and player 2 has 0 points.
In the same example, if player 2 gets 1 washer in the 3 point hole, 1 washer in the 1 point hole, and the third washer in the 3 point hole, the third washer would be points for player 2 as he "covered" the 3 points for player 1, but also collected another 3 points for himself. Score would then be player 1 = 2 points, player 2 = 3 points.
Player making the most points on each turn, then starts the next throw. Players move to the opposite board for each round. Play continues until a total of 21 points is reached by one player or team.
Player cannot go over 21 points. If player goes over 21 points on a throw, then player must subtract the points made on that throw from his score.
The score is player 1 = 18 points, and player 2 = 15. Player 1 must get 3 points and no more. Player 1 can get a 1 point hole, plus a 2 point hole(or)the 3 point hole. If player 1 shoots and gets 3 points on the first throw, he must throw his next two washers. Player 1 does not want to make anymore points, but MUST hit the board with the next two washers. If player 1 were to make an additional point, then he would go over 21.
Player 1 would total the points made and subtract them from the original score. This would bring player 1's score down to 18, less points made on the shoot. However, player 2 still must shoot his washers. If player 2 were to "cover" the points player 1 made, then player 1 would remain at 18.
Playing with Partners:
Same rules apply. Partners should stand on the opposite side of boards. Partners score are totaled at end of each round. Partner from team 1 shoots - then partner from team 2 shoots. Score is totaled , until one reaches 21.
1) When pitching washers, toe or foot must be on edge of the board, or back from the edge of the board. Toe cannot be over the edge of the board. Player can stand anywhere on the board.
2) Washer must hit board board when thrown. If washer does not touch board, player must throw that washer over again. If washer hits the front edge of the board, it counts as a hit and that washer is NOT to be thrown over again.
3) "Covering the point" - this is when player 1 throws washer and makes a point or points. Player 2 can then throw his washer into the same hole and knock out the point(s) made by player 1. This is called covering the point.
4) If one player shoots, and washer lands on the board, but not in a hole, then player 2 knocks in player 1's washer, 1st players washer point counts, unless 2nd players washer also goes in, at which it "covers" 1st players washer.